Anyone have any info on the NEC D2167D-2?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at
Wed Feb 28 00:42:27 CST 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 8:44 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at> wrote:
> Hi, all,
> I'm going through a box of random ICs...
> The IC is a 20-pin ceramic body with side brazed legs, gold pins, chromed
> lid, with NEC D2168D on it with "-2" painted on the ceramic and date codes
> from 1984.  It's almost certainly a RAM chip of some kind, but I'm not
> finding any pinouts or data sheets.

I found more parts of a similar nature which helped untangle this...
It appears to be the same configuration as the Mitsubishi M5M2167S,
which was easier to find.  A document somewhere pointed me to the full
part number of my initial search of uPD2167D (the "uP" on the front
made all the difference).

16Kx1 55ns SRAM (-2 variant), 20 pins, crossed with Fujitsu and Intel
2167 parts, and the Inmos IMS1400.

Still don't know what vintage machines this might have appeared in.
Anyone know?