Help diagnosing boot issue SWTPC 6800

Nick Allen mail.nickallen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 12:32:03 CST 2018

Hey everyone, Happy New Years!  I am thankful for an active community
that enjoys helping each other learn, and today I am coming with an ask
for help.

I have a SWTPC 6800 and ADM3A terminal, I can get it to boot, and when
it boots it will continue to boot for several hours.  But getting it to
successfully boot takes upwards of 100 power OFF and ON cycles.  The
other 99 times, I get a continuous stream of random ASCII characters
(see video link below).  It's my first time seeing this type of issue
that happens intermittently, and wondering if anyone has any insights in
what might be causing this.  I suspect its a faulty IC on the Processor
board that resets or controls the OS reset, will need to deep dive and
diagnose, but thought I would ask for some direction first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci4vhPn-3PE

Thanks in advance!

-Nick