ID some core memory

Nigel Williams nw at retrocomputingtasmania.com
Mon Jan 1 22:36:25 CST 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 4:28 AM, Jon Elson via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> wires by 1965 or earlier.  it does appear to have 40 bit planes, however,

Elliott 503 and 803 were 40-bit machines, 39 data bits + one parity
bit and from the early 1960s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_803

We have the backing-core stack for the 503 and Bill's stack is quite
different. We also have the main core stack for the 503 but not seen
directly as the example we have is still in its cooling shroud.

I can't find pictures of the 803 core stack but here are pictures of
the 503 core stacks:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hNA0urEpkPkOhEm22

503 Backing magnetic core store:

https://goo.gl/photos/R2xT85NN1c9DmBZk7