R: Large discs

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Jan 5 16:37:45 CST 2018

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Here's a government-(Canada) sponsored paper on the subject:
> https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/conservation-preservation-publications/canadian-conservation-institute-notes/longevity-recordable-cds-dvds.html
>
> In any case, my DVDs will last longer than I will.

I was unsure how to derive that from the paper.  It's a fascinating
discussion of some of the issues, but I still haven't seen a chart that
would give mean, median, nor mode (and/or any other measures of central
tendency) of expected life the various products.

Of late, I have seen some worrying numbers, such as "shelf life of
unrecorded DVDs is 3 to 5 years".

I don't know how long YOU expect to live, but I don't think that I will
last as long as a lot of my data (which FEW if ANY will want)   (But, I've
asked my lawyer to place in my will, provisions for my collection of
"alien" disks to go to Eric Smith and Al Kossow.  As well as
authorizations for certain people to take whatever they want of my
personal property)