DEC H960 stabiliser feet. Have some questions.

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Sun Jan 7 01:57:06 CST 2018

Pete said
> On 07/01/2018 01:44, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>> On 01/06/2018 04:54 PM, Pete Turnbull via cctalk wrote:
>>
>>> No, as would be obvious to anyone looking carefully at the photo (or the
>>> real thing!), it's 1/4" x 20 UNC.  I really must learn to think before
>>> putting finger to keyboard.
>>
>> If it's "quarter-twenty", that's a size shared by many refrigerators and
>> other heavy household appliances.  I think I even have a few of those
>> mushroom-headed screws salvaged from one.
>
> Except the proper screws are countersink head, not mushroom, because
> mushroom heads would prevent the kickplate being fitted (and the shank
> is 5/16" - only the end is threaded 1/4-20).

Thanks Pete and everyone, really fantastic input.
Using the new bolt info, it's refined a little more:
http://web.aanet.com.au/~malikoff/pdp11/DEC_H960_stabiliser_foot_left_A-H952-BA_revision_3_dimensioned.jpg

I can't find anything suitable on MMC (https://www.mcmaster.com/#countersunk-head-machine-screws/=1b0p4yz )
so Chuck's probably right, machine them up. Maybe start from a long 5/16" shank hex-head bolt and put the
countersink and 1/4-20 thread on.
Thanks for the drawing for the kickplate. I'm assuming the plate goes on after the feet have been placed
on the rack, and the #10 screws hold it all together. I'm guessing the kickplate is 16 guage sheetmetal..?

Steve.