Spectre & Meltdown

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Jan 14 12:38:25 CST 2018

On 01/13/2018 06:38 PM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:

> And even worse, if he took too long, a fun feature of MVT
> and not corrected in MVS was if a console channel went
> unavailable for too long, the system would crash.  Luckily
> the game would print out a line, and a blob of console
> messages would come out then ask for another move.
>
> Took 10 minutes to lose a game.
>
> The system administrators regenerated the system to add
> privilege and authorization to jobs using WTOR which
> they'd missed.
>
> We found other fun holes like that in MVT.

Yup, OS/360 had a number of holes wide enough to let 5 ocean
liners through, abreast.  My favorite was the stock
exception handler for the SPIE  (specify program
interruption exit) allowed you to change a program from
problem state to supervisor state.  Nobody ever thought
anybody would ever abuse such a thing.

Jon