Passing of a valued member

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 17:32:13 CST 2018

Thank you Toby, for posting this, and for putting me in touch with Marc
in the first place.

I first met Marc in person at a talk at our university from Brian
Kernighan. While I nervously asked bwk to sign my copy of C, Marc had no
trouble initiating a conversation wit him. Marc managed to persuade bwk
to sign his 11/70 front panel, which he had brought along with him in
his backpack. "The good old days - Brian Kernighan"

Our friendship developed rapidly, and we have spoken every day until his
passing about a variety of topics - the main one of course being
PDP-11s. Marc helped me source my first PDP, he also picked it up and
delivered it to me. We had many fun times together, trying to fix
things, and unfortunately in some cases making things worse, for which I
blame the beer.

Marc was incredibly intelligent. I looked up to him, despite being a
similar age. It's hard for me to explain how much he meant to me, and
how much I am going to miss him. I know many others are feeling the same
way.

I miss you buddy.

Aaron.

--
Aaron Jackson
PhD Student, Computer Vision Laboratory, Uni of Nottingham