Help identifying IC

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 20:06:45 CST 2018

Hi all --

I picked up this little toy at VCF West last summer:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aqb36sqnCIfMouYd0HV0ZThE3FnE_Q

As far as I can tell, it's supposed to be a clock and I assume it was a
kit -- this one was definitely hand-assembled.  It's powered by two AA's
(apparently, there are no markings), has a 4 digit LED display, and at
the moment it does not work at all.

Can't find anything about this item at all.  At the moment I'm curious
what the 28-pin IC at the top is -- there are no markings of any kind
anywhere on the chip.  It has an interesting construction -- blue
plastic on both sides with a metal cap over the die.  The two other ICs
are RCA 3081 and RCA 3082 which are simply transistor arrays for driving
the 4-digit LED display.  I assume the 28-pin IC is a simple
microcontroller with built-in ROM, or perhaps it's a device specifically
designed to run a digital clock.  Whatever it is, I'd love to know what
it does so I can debug this thing and possibly source a replacement.

I realize this is not a lot of information to go on, but on the
off-chance someone's seen something like this before I figured I'd give
it a go...

Thanks,

Josh