Even old accounting software needs love and rescuing from oblivion

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Jan 21 11:30:53 CST 2018

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 09:16:22AM +1300, Terry Stewart via cctalk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On the weekend I rescued some old software.  It gave me an excuse to get my
> first micro out of its box and stretch its legs.
>
> Accounting packages hardly set the world alight but being a Dick Smith
> release for the System 80, it does have its place in Australasian computer
> history.  Anyway, if anyone is interested, here is the URL.
>
> http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2018-01-12-rescuing-more-dick-smith-software.htm

A tip to clean floppies by soap and water - priceless. Despite me
having no floppies worthy this much soap. I guess this could be tried
for salvaging CDs, too - anyway, I have few misburned CDs living their
second life as coasters (very stylish, blinkey, eco-friendly and
stuff) and from time to time I give them a wash. So far (about
ten-fifteen washes over few years), no signs of wash-related
degradation, so perhaps I will (someday in a future) try it on some
data CDs if they happen to be in bad condition on that particular
date.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola