Microvax II 'primer'?

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 22 13:18:29 CST 2018

I can't believe you 'just carry it into the house' all by yourself,
unless you are professional athlete.
I also have a MicroVax II in the BA123 world box and it has wheels for a
reason!  The damn thing weighs 130 lbs!
I took it to the VCF East last year, never do that again.  Too heavy.

When I got mine, it had only 3MB of memory and I found that I couldn't
install VMS 5.5-2 or 7.3 with that amount of memory.  I put in an 8 MB
board and 11 MB total was fine.

You should make your own cable to connect the console to a PC or
terminal.  Its that odd.  I found the PC connection to be helpful
because you can log what you are doing.

Yes, remove the NiCad battery.

The box I got had 3 RD53 disks in it and none worked.  I am using a
Viking SCSI controller and a SCSI2SD drive to boot the system.
I left the RX50 drives in and reconfigured the RQDX2 to address them.
They come in handy for getting the VMS hobbyist licenses in.
The TK50 never worked.

I put a DELQA in for networking, never tried a DEQNA.

I consider it an important machine in computing history.  It allowed
scientific researchers, like myself, to get off of remote mainframes
that billed at fantastic rates and compute in a more relaxed environment.
BTW there is one in the Air & Space Museum in Washington DC.