Keyboard "enthusiasts"

TeoZ teoz at neo.rr.com
Wed Jan 24 13:03:21 CST 2018

It's  not just on ebay. I asked fellow collectors on 68kmla about their
machine to keyboard/mouse ratio and they all had more machines then
keyboards. Sooner or later machines will be useless because there are not
enough keyboards and mice to go around.

While I keep stacks of mac keyboards and mice in the garage and a stack of
AT and IBM Model M keyboards in the house I have very few USB keyboards for
more modern machines in my collection (mostly because by the time USB
keyboards were common they were cheap junk). Most of the PS/2 keyboards made
were also junk but I kept a few that were machine specific. I just use a KVM
with a USB to PS/2 adapter and a Model M keyboard plus USB Microsoft Optical
mouse (optical mice are better then the old ones with balls). I even keep
old ball mice around for that vintage feel and to match my systems (and
those do wear out). Amiga mice for one are pretty hard to find especially
the A1000 models with the angled plug.

I don't have a problem with people stealing keyboards and junking systems
when in all likelyhood the whole thing would get scrapped anyway. Many of
the local machines I have saved over the years were just too heavy to ship
and worthless at the time so they would have ended up in a dump anyway. How
many terminal collectors are there now compared to ten years ago or 20 when
terminal were more common? As keyboards are going up in value I suspect that
they just keep getting traded around kind of like computers themselves
(people buy them get bored and flip or trade them).

TZ