Foonlies

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Jan 31 12:52:40 CST 2018

On 01/31/2018 11:43 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 1/31/18 12:28 AM, Lars Brinkhoff via cctalk wrote:
>
>> SUPERFOONLY   DESIGNED 1968-71
>> 10,000 TTL IC'S
>> 3 MIPS
> Was this ever built? 10K ICs would have been bigger than the Livermore S-1.
>
> F1 was the machine that Whitney-Demos had, I think, and there was only ever
> one of them.

Yes, I was wondering about that.  Depending on packaging
technique, 10K TTL ICs could have been packaged into a
modest-sized cabinet, but if done on the large Augat panels
like the National Advanced Systems and some other Foonly
machines, they would get insanely large.  A roughly 12"
square WireWrap panel with a grid of 20 x 25 chips would
hold 500 ICs.  So, 20 of those would do the whole 10K IC
system.  That could fit in two rack-mount card cages with
WW, or one card cage if all etched circuitry.  It would need
a hefty cooling blower, though.

Jon