PDP8/e programmers consoles

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Mar 17 08:09:17 CDT 2018

    > From: Allison

    > you have to pull the panel apart to replace them, gets tiring. Modern
    > yellow LEDs are nice and bright, and don't burn out.
    > Less digging in the box is a good thing as over time fumble errors can
    > hurt it.

Agree about replacing lamps - we switched to LEDs BITD because replacing
burned-out lamps (especially when you're trying to fix some _other_ problem)
when there's something better available is just, silly.

    > Modern red leds at 8mA are very much brighter. However the yellow look
    > more like lamps.

What about warm white LEDs, though? The ones we used in the QSIC indicator
panel are, to me, pretty much indistinguishable from the lights as I recall
them from BITD. I mean, maybe if I had them sitting next to each other, I
could tell, but... Those are SMD, though, but maybe they are available
in bulb replacement form?

	Noel