Did anyone on the list get these tapes?

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 22:34:02 CDT 2018

On 3/24/2018 8:23 PM, Nigel Williams via cctalk wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 1:57 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> http://bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11/dectape/LCM_Early_PDP-11
> Thanks everyone for preserving these items.
>
> In the unpacked file dectapes-extracted.zip, folder 118655.tu56 has
> within it BASIC.P11.txt, the filename suggesting it might be a version
> of BASIC, but the header of the file is this:
>
> ;FOCAL-11, VERSION B2
>
> ;BY RICK MERRILL
>
> ;COPYRIGHT@ 1970,1971 BY
> ;DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORP, MAYNARD, MASS.
>
> overall the file contents suggest it is FOCAL, is there a way to check
> that this is what was on the original tape? and not a handling problem
> during the recovery?

I dumped the tapes and can confirm that this is not an error during
recovery and is what was on the original tape; each tape had a printed
directory listing taped to it and this listing matches the listing I got
when extracting the data.  I assume it was misnamed or overwritten at
some point back in the day.

There is a BASIC.P11 on another tape that has actual BASIC source in it.

There's also what looks like some very early RSTS source in there.

- Josh