RL02 Question

shadoooo shadoooo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:21:37 CDT 2018

Hello,
I'm not an absolute expert, but I successfully fixed a couple of RL02 in
the past.
Adjustment to the head is only useful for azimuth, I think. The radial
position will be adjusted continuously using the servo tracks, so there's
no absolute position adjustment at all.
If the drive fails during spinup, I would check at least the following:
- the presence of spindle sector signal after digital conversion of pulses
from analog signal coming from the pickup.
- having disabled the servo linear motor (there's some jumper to setup,
check the maintenance manual), perform the motor spinup, then load slowly
the heads on the disk by hand, until you find the servo tracks.
- with an oscilloscope check the presence of analog signal of the servo
tracks on both heads, and it's digital counterpart after amplification and
threshold detection (expected level values in the manual). If you see
something strange, e.g missing or too short pulses, try to adjust the gain
with the trimmer on the head board
- enable again the servo, then load again

My 2 cents.
Andrea