RL02 Question

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 13:59:39 CDT 2018

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Checking the amplified output from the r/w heads is one of the first
things I did. The voltages are within normal range, but only after I
push the head a bit further into the pack.

Although, I did not set the jumper to try the other head (I suppose I
was always looking at head 0), so I've just tried this now. There does
indeed appear to be servo burst data coming from both heads once I've
manually loaded them fully. So I am not sure if this is the problem. I'm
really hoping that the pack is not bad since I paid for a tested pack.

I also checked the sector transducer output last night. The individual
waves (i.e. from trough to peak) seem to be twice as fast, but the
timings between two peaks is correct.

The survo busts are correctly aligned with the sector pulses.

So, from what I can see, the drive should spin up correctly, but for
some reason it goes into fault mode. I am right in thinking that upon
load, the heads should continue moving forward until the first track is
found, right? I should not have to perform a seek manually from the PDP?
If this is not the case, perhaps there is something else wrong.

Thanks again for your input,
Aaron.

--
Aaron Jackson
PhD Student, Computer Vision Laboratory, Uni of Nottingham