R: PATA hard disks, anyone?

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 19:17:42 CDT 2018

On 03/26/2018 05:58 PM, Ali via cctalk wrote:
>> NSA has been successful enough that the concept "DOD Wipe" as was found
>> in programs like Gformat from Ghost no longer exists.
> Bill,
>
> Are you saying that the NSA can recover data from a HDD that has been erased and been written over multiple times?

That's what we were told when I was still with DOD.  No number of overwrites
made it impossible.  No disk that ever contained classified information
could
ever be let out of containment.  Other than melting them down the only
method
I ever heard of or saw that could truly erase a disk was passing them
through
the ship deguasser at the Navy Yard.  And, after that the disk was not
only clean,
it was unusable.

bill