Wiring Harnesses (was: RL02 Question)

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:55:30 CDT 2018

Years ago I was troubleshooting an old SuperMicro beast that was running a
newspaper printing press. It kept shutting down randomly but if I hit the
power button it would come up. Then randomly go down again minutes or an
hour later.

I spent many hours testing and swapping modules in and out of this thing
from a working machine and at one point it would only power up if the front
box that contained the power switch module and CDROM/floppy were out of the
enclosure and separate on the bench (but still connected to the motherboard
by an data/power cables). If I got a long screwdriver and earthed this
front box to the main enclosure the machine would go down immediately.

Power switch itself tested fine with a meter but I found there was a hidden
reset swtich that wasn't in use so I desoldered and swapped them over. All
problems went away and the customer practically carried me at shoulder
height around the press hall.

--
adrian/witchy
Owner of Binary Dinosaurs, the UK's biggest home computer collection?