RL02 Question

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 16:04:49 CDT 2018

>>> ON fault the heads are retracted and will not load till cleared.
>>> Least mine behaves that way.
>>>
>>> Most common problems are wrong drive address, cable issues, no terminator.
>>> Others include head lock not removed or the auto unlock style of
>>> headlock has
>>> the tab broken.

>>> IF in fault its resetting to retracted on every try.
>>> If not something else is wrong.

>>> Heads are not that expensive... However you could have a wrong pack
>>> or one that has been erased and has no servo tracks. You must start with
>>> a known good pack and cleaned heads.
>>>

>>> Allison
>> Well, I replaced the DOWN head and adjusted the amplitude on the r/w
>> board. The drive now stays in READY without the FAULT lamp coming on, so
>> this is promising. The heads load onto the first track.
>>
>> Without any r/w operations, should the READY light flash? Mine is
>> flashing a little but not too rapidly. I am guessing this is while it
>> tries to keep the heads positioned over the track.
> Yes, normal read/write/seek activity causes that.
>
>> When I try to boot using the MXV11-BF boot roms, it says:
>>
> MXV-11 boot is not very chatty or informative.
>
>> ]] ?BOOTROM-F- DL 0 read error
>>
>> The alignment between the two heads looks okay also.
>>
>> Any ideas, anyone?
>
> Is the OS on it? IF RT-11 is it configured to boot from DL-nn?
> IF you have OS on floppy can your do a dir of the devices it knows of?

This occurred to me just after I last replied. Silly me. Ended up
booting into 2.11BSD to see if I could run disklabel on it. No such
luck. I'll try RT-11 later this week. If that doesn't work I'll boot
into XXDP over TU58 and give that ago.

Thanks very much for your help, Allison, and others.

Best,
Aaron.