RAID? Was: PATA hard disks, anyone?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 05:57:04 CDT 2018

On 28 March 2018 at 02:51, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Well outside my realm of expertise (as if I had a realm!), . . .
>
> How many drives would you need, to be able to set up a RAID, or hot
> swappable RAUD (Redundant Array of Unreliable Drives), that could give
> decent reliability with such drives?

For what little it's worth, and little relevance, I had a hardware
RAID of 6 × 80GB UltraIDE drives that ran faultlessly for several
years. Not full-time, to be fair, but surviving multiple power cycles.

In an old HP Proliant ML110 G1 -- space-heater Pentium 4 version --
with only about 2GB of RAM (because it used some kind of weird
expensive ECC RAM) and a hacked copy of Windows Server 2008.

It was a box made from free leftovers and proved to be one of my most
reliable workhorse PCs ever. Figures, really.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053