RAID? Was: PATA hard disks, anyone?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Mar 28 12:02:40 CDT 2018

On 03/28/2018 06:33 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

> These are straightforward questions of probability math, but it takes
> some time to get the details right.  For one thing, you need
> believable numbers for the underlying error probabilities.  And you
> have to analyze the cases carefully.

A great discussion, Paul!

My biggest danger to data loss is--me.  I've modified my working
procedures as much as possible and keep backups, but every once in a
while, I'll do something stupid, such as "rm -rf *", in the mistaken
assumption that the system I'm on contains a .bashrc file with "alias
rm='rm -i'" in it somewhere.

I know of no RAID setup that can save me from stupid.

--Chuck