RAID? Was: PATA hard disks, anyone?

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Mar 28 17:06:36 CDT 2018

On 03/28/2018 12:32 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> With very unreliable drives, that isn't acceptable.  If each "drive"
> within the RAID were itself a RAID, . . .  Getting to be a complicated
> controller, or cascading controllers, . . .

Many of the SCSI / SAS RAID controllers that I've worked with over the
last 10+ years have this cascading controller functionality.  Most of
the RAID controlelrs that I've worked with would let you build a mirror
or stripe across some sort of underlying RAID.  Typical examples are
striping (RAID 0) across mirrors (RAID 1) or multiple RAID 5 arrays.

> 'course not.  Besides MTBF for calculating the probability of a second
> drive failing within N hours, must also consider other factors, such as
> external influences causing more than one drive to go, and the
> essentially non-linear aspect of a failure rate curve.
You also need to take into account the additional I/O load imposed on
the remaining drives during a rebuild.

I usedto routinely run into software (Solstice Disk Suite?) RAID 1
mirrors on Solaris boxen for the OS (/) where different parts of each
drive would fail.  So we'd end up with a situation where we had a decent
RAID, but we couldn't replace either disk.  This usually involved taking
an entire backup of the machine, replacing both disks, and restoring the
data.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die