Looking for opinions...

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 00:18:16 CDT 2018

On 29 March 2018 at 03:52, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> If only that were 16mm or 35mm continuous rolls, instead of microfiche!
>
> In 1931, Emanuel Goldberg, then a chief engineer at Zeiss built the
> "Statistical Machine". By recording bits optically in the margins of
> microfilm, and reading them with photocells, it could find appropriate
> frames!
>
> For use in soundtrack for films, Mauer puts up to 8 parallel variable area
> optical tracks in the margin!
> 8 bit parallel!
> Goldberg was also apparently responsible for the Contax camera.
> BUT, in the days leading up to World War Two, he fled Dresden and Zeiss
> could not afford to have mention of a Jew in a high profile position, and by
> the time the war ended, they had systematically erased most clues that he
> had existed!
> http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~buckland/goldberg.html
>

> A decade later, Vannevar Bush stole the idea, and without credit, claimed it
> as his own, as the foundation for his Memex device.
> Bush did not successfully build his machine.
> Bush's Atlantic Monthly article, "As We May Think" is sometimes considered
> the foundation of modern information science.
> Bush did not understand nor accept the concepts of index nor hierarchical
> organization, so he pushed for linkage to go from one topic into another.
> Ted Nelson credits it as the inspiration for Hypertext, and Cern credits Ted
> nelson.

This is astonishing. What a tragic loss to the world.

And yet, 3 generations later, Fascist and Neo-Nazi thought is rising
again. From Brexit to "All lives matter" or "Blue lives matter", or
the marches in the US, the spectre of the Third Reich is rising again.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053