VAX9000 unearthed

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Fri Feb 18 21:43:29 CST 2022

On 2022-02-18 8:21 p.m., Mark Linimon via cctalk wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 05:25:26PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan via cctalk wrote:
>> Yours will be a lot cheaper to run.
>
> Custom ECL chips?
>
> I think I can go with "relatively cheaper".
>
> Make sure you have a bazillion BTU of air conditioning ...
>
> (Yes, I have had experience with ECL, albeit 1970s low-scale tech.  The
> power consumption ... eeeeeek ...)
>
> mcl

The 70's was all low scale tech. I suspect it was the high speed/edge
rates more the power that kept ECL from common use. Any other views on
this topic. Ben, who only had access to RADIO SHACK in the 70's.
PS: Still grumbling about buying life time tubes at a big price,
just to see all tubes discontinued a year or two later.