LSSM is chasing this, was Re: General Data? Computer Equipment Auction - GSA

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 17 15:22:27 CDT 2022

On 3/17/22 14:19, Ethan O'Toole via cctalk wrote:
>>  In LSSM's case, it's a wholly-occupied 14,000 square foot commercial
>> storefront building that nobody lives in, in a downtown shopping
>> district, as distinguished from the typical private collection in a
>> garage, basement, etc.
>
> Right, I know you have a real building and are open to the public and
> operate what I would consider a real museum. But where does one define a
> museum when it comes to randos, the small shops, the people just
> collecting donations for the price break, etc.

   The definition of "museum" is something that is bandied about quite a
bit in museum circles, believe it or not.  There is no
universally-accepted definition.  But when standing in someone's garage,
basement, storage locker, etc, one can usually make a call that nobody
would argue with.

> Someone I know has a museum, collects stuff, no business entity for it,
> and it doesn't usually see the light of day. He says he plans to open a
> museum someday, but he has no real business plan AFAIK. He does have
> some stuff on display at another museum though.

   I would posit that he does not have a museum; he has a collection and
a wish.  When and if that wish pans out, and I hope it does, then he
will have a museum.  But not before.

   It CAN happen.  For decades I had a collection and a wish.  Now
there's a museum that showcases part of that collection, and parts of
others' collections, and things of its own.  It's not easy to do, but it
is possible.  Encourage your friend!

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ