AlphaServers?

Richard Loken richardlo at admin.athabascau.ca
Thu Jan 1 16:25:41 CST 1970

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Toby Thain wrote:

> On 2015-06-19 10:51 AM, Benjamin Huntsman wrote:
> > Does anyone here know why certain AlphaServers are worth such seemingly
> > high prices on eBay still?

> The obvious(?) answer is that they are still used commercially.
>
> I think this explains the phenomenon for even older hardware than Alpha too.

Dow Chemical in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta still has VAXen running some
version of VMS to control the process in their chemical plants.

About 15 years ago, a Compaq service technician told me that he had to
maintain a VAX-11/785 that controlled a Lockheed L1011 flight simulator in
Vancouver so there are probably still VAXen doing that job around the world.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Unix System Administrator : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn