Sparc5 bits wanted

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Apr 1 10:10:20 CST 2005

At 10:46 AM -0500 4/1/05, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>You will need one stick of SPARC5 memory... it's +5V, not +3.3V (the
>notches are in a different place, so it's not possible to install the
>wrong kind without forcing it).  I don't know for certain if it's
>compatible, but some models of Mac used 5V DIMMS, and some models of
>PS/2s.  In any case, real SS5 8MB DIMMs should be at a discard price,
>because everyone wants a full boat of 256MB worth of 32MB DIMMs.

I'm positive it's not the same type memory.  Also, a full load of 8MB
DIMM's isn't enough RAM to run any recent version of Solaris.  This
includes versions as far back as 2.6.  I've easily run OpenBSD on the
70Mhz model with only 40MB RAM.

>If all you want to do is test it, a single 8MB stick of the right sort
>of memory, and a DB25 console cable should do the trick.  The rest of
>the goodies I've mentioned are helpful once you get past that stage.

It will work to test it.  I borrowed a 32MB stick to test my Sparc
5/70, then bought 5 8MB sticks off eBay.

		Zane