breaking into an RSX-11M Plus 3.0 system

John A. Dundas III dundas at caltech.edu
Fri Apr 1 11:59:26 CST 2005

At 12:40 PM -0500 4/1/05, dvcorbin at optonline.net wrote:
>  > I don't have the password for an RSX11 install I have on a used RD53.
>>  Anybody know the sequence? Is there something like on VMS where
>>  you give a bootpart to be able to interrupt startup and use an
>>  altauth ?
>>  regards,
>>  heinz
>

>IIRC [I worked alot more on 11-M than on M-Plus... and it was over
>15 years ago...].....
>
>While the startup script is running you should be ablse to press
>Ctrl-C to abort it. If the sys manager did not put in good error
>handlers, it will leave you at an MCR prompt....A cleaner
>alternative is to enter Ctrl-Z when prompted for the date and time
>during startup....RMMV

I am by no means an expert on RSX but it is my recollection also that
this was the way to break in.  A judicious ^C during startup at the
console, particularly in V3.2 and prior, would let you in.  Not sure
about V4.0 and later; that issue may have been addressed.

Might need to do an ATL to see the active tasks and an ABO of one or
more tasks once at the MCR prompt.

John