Atari Portfolio User Warning - the bugs we lived with then.

Phil&Cathy guerney at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 5 07:27:50 CDT 2005

I was lucky enough today to score an as-new Atari Portfolio. In the box was
the following "OWNER'S MANUAL ADDENDUM": (All caps as per original)

USER WARNING:

1. DO NOT END A DOCUMENT IN THE TEXT EDITOR WITH A Space FOLLOWED BY A
Return.
If you do end a text file with a Space Return, a serious system error will
occur when you load the file. This error will require you to remove the
batteries from your computer, causing loss of all data from drive C:

2. NON-WEEKEND REPEATING ALARMS DO NOT WORK. DO NOT USE THEM. USE OF
NON-WEEKEND REPEATING ALARMS MAY REQUIRE A COLD BOOT AS ABOVE.

Imagine a product being released today with such brazen, data-destroying
bugs! Then, it was par for the course. Just remember to end your files with
_two_ returns and all's OK! Forget about repeating alarms during the week.
It's only software so work around it. Beta testers? Not in Atari with the
Tramiels in 1989!

Cheers
Phil