Unix on old-ish machines - advice sought

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 01:24:23 CDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 1:39 AM, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> No kidding!  I've got a 3rd party framebuffer for my PDP-11/73, but
> have never gotten it working, in part because I'm not sure what it
> would take to hook up a monitor or even what type monitor would be
> needed.  In my case I've got drivers for RSX-11M, but they existed
> for RT-11, and maybe other OS's.

Interesting... I have a Qbus framebuffer, too.  I got it from my old
boss from a project where we built a QA training station for an
ultrasonic inspector.  My (MACRO-11) code would slice a portion of a
large (multi-megabyte) data file and display just the desired
component (out of a tray of dozens) on the screen at
1000-pixels-per-inch resolution on a 512x512 screen.  It happened that
we were manupulating grey scale data, but the framebuffer would do
color.  The card has three odd LIMO-like connectors for
RGB-sync-on-green and that's it.  I have one cable (for the green
channel, naturally).

I have *no* idea if there are drivers for anything aside from RT-11,
since that's what I was given for the project.  I still have a few
listings, and I _may_ have an RL01 and/or RL02 pack with source code.

I'd be interestded to see pictures of your framebuffer.  Mine is
accessible, but not here, so if desired, I could do the same.

-ethan