Unix on old-ish machines - advice sought

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 04:30:54 CDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 3:42 AM, C Fernandez <fernande at internet1.net> wrote:
> I added a piggyback battery to my IPX successfully...
>
> Now that I've done it once, I can't see any reason to by a replacement
> nvram.  I can run to Radio Shack, buy a battery, and have it fixed the
> same day.  The nvram faq actually sounded discouraging when referencing
> the procedure.  However, I think it's the best solution.

I gave my battery replacement a little twist... when I broke the
connections between the battery and the underlying chip, I attached a
9V battery lead to the chip in place of the factory battery.  I then
soldered on a PC-mount 3V Li cell (3032?) onto a former 9V battery
top.  I did it that way so I could replace the battery again later
without having to solder at the chip a second time.

I did a similar trick when I was faced with a dead Dallas DS1287
clock/SRAM.  Used the same Li cell, too, for the test.

-ethan