ASCII art spam

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Tue Apr 12 11:04:33 CDT 2005

At 10:51 AM 4/12/2005, Tom Jennings wrote:
>Spammers have "invented" ASCII art.
>There's three curious things about this. One, it of course gets
>through text-matching filters.  Two, it retroactively ruinates
>real ASCII art (if this catches on, seems most unlikely). Three,
>is there a drawing program for this?

I'd seen old low-res pin-up art in spam more than a year ago,
and these text versions lately.  It's probably hand-made.
As non-words, I think it would trigger some spam filters.

They don't seem to care whether they're making fixed-width
art or using variable width fonts.  I've seen some that's
quite messed up in Eudora.

Any old ASCII art program would do it, no?  I think there
are tools that can turn bitmaps to ASCII, so why not?

- John