7201 (was Re: Z8530 (was Re: Navtel 9460 Protocol Analyzer info?))

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Fri Apr 15 18:18:03 CDT 2005

>Subject: 7201 (was Re: Z8530 (was Re: Navtel 9460 Protocol Analyzer info?))
>   From: "Eric Smith" <eric at brouhaha.com>

>That chip sucked when used as a plain old UART.  In order to handle slight
>speed mismatches between two modems emplying synchronous modulation,

;-)  It was nearly a full clone of the Z80 SIO with one difference,
the interrupt logic matched the 8085/8086 rather than Z80.

As a simple SIO it was a major pita to use, too dang many registers.
As a result I ahve a bunch of them and never use them.  Ise the 2681,
8251 or 8250 before that beastie.

The only thing worse to design with and use was the COM2501, dumb
as a stump.

Allison