Z8530 (was Re: Navtel 9460 Protocol Analyzer info?)

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Fri Apr 15 21:14:29 CDT 2005

>Subject: Re: Z8530 (was Re: Navtel 9460 Protocol Analyzer info?)
>   From: Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>
>   Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:00:43 -0400

>> Oh, along the way the 85C30 was a far better part.
>
>Do tell.  I have a number of machines that use the Z8530 (Sun, Mac,
>Amiga A-Max board, COMBOARD...) and quite a few loose chips, but do
>not know any differences with the 85C30.

First off subbing in an 85C30 isn't going to improve those systems.
The bigger differces is first the 85C30 is cmos and far lower in power.
The DMA support is better with a 10x19 fifo for status and a 14 bit counter.
The Softwaare interrupt ack feature is there (not in the NMOS part).
It's about twice faster and easily support T1 trunk.  There are subtle
small changes that impact SDLC management. It's esscentally a pin
compatable improved part.

Thsi is why I have miles of shelf space, so if the brain fails
I can look it up.

Allison