7201 (was Re: Z8530 (was Re: Navtel 9460 Protocol Analyzer info?))

Tom Jennings tomj at wps.com
Sat Apr 16 16:19:06 CDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Ben Franchuk wrote:

> Well I favor dumb chips at the moment because I don't have
> several MEG or EPROM to bootstrap my HOMEBREW computer.Infact I have
> no PROM of any kind, just toogle switches*. Since I favor a 6809
> style of memory access** I am using 68B50's. I just need to finish
> the CPU logic design and build it. :)

Well if we're getting nostalgic, my hands-down favorite are
minicomputer programmatic interfaces. Talk about hardware-heads.
Brutally simple, non-modal, wide flat registers, does DMA, error
handling and makes you coffee while you wait. But instead of a PIA
plus glue or whatever you get the whole TI product line and six
copper layers. I guess that's what heats the coffee water.