HP-2116A chassis (or repairing cast aluminum)

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.u-net.com
Sun Apr 17 06:26:40 CDT 2005

On Apr 16 2005, 21:32, Bob Shannon wrote:
> I think the actual frame here is magnesium alloy, not aluminum.
>
> Any attempt to weld this might be spectacularly bad idea.

Why?  Welding magnesium alloy is done in exactly the same ways as
welding aluminium, except of course that different composition filler
rods are preferred.  The relevant properties (strength of the base
metal, electrical conductivity, melting point of the metal, high
melting point of the oxide, hydrogen inclusion in the molten metal,
etc) are very similar.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager