Got the HP9k system booted! was: New find & HP-UX p/w?

Randy McLaughlin cctalk at randy482.com
Wed Apr 20 00:12:21 CDT 2005

From: "Steve Robertson" <steerex at mindspring.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 4:46 PM
>> Interrupt
>> FSCK INTERRUPTED
>> STARTING A SHELL FOR MANUAL fsck, ^D WHEN FILE SYSTEM FIXED
>> (in bcheckrc) # <blockcursor>"
>>
>> Was that block cursor the single user prompt??
>
> YOU'RE IN! At this point the system is running in single user mode.
> You've got root permissions.
>
> Don't <cntrl-D> until you've changed the root password.
>
> NOTE: I don't have my HPUX system running so, you might want to get some
> additional input here. I think you have two choices. You can either edit
> "/etc/passwd" removing the root password or you can create a new user.
>
> I'd try to create a new user giving that user root permissions. Then you
> can reboot and login as the new user. Since that user has root
> permissions, he can change any of the passwords including root's.
>
> See ya,
> SteveRob

I am also ignorant about HPUX but I would assume the easiest thing to do
would be to change the root password:

Try typing 'passwd root' and see if it asks for a new password, if not then
'vi /etc/passwd' and remove the root password (it should be encrypted) if
it's not encrypted just change it.

If you are not familiar with vi Linux has a clone and www.linux.org should
have the commands, it's easy and exists on most UNIX systems and UNIX
clones.  Typing 'd' then hitting the spacebar deletes the character under
the cursor, typing ':w!' saves the file, ':q' exits (colon, lowercase w,
explanation point & colon lowercase q).

Adding a user and giving it root permissions takes more effort.

Randy
www.s100-manuals.com