Apple // Emulator Disk Images

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Mon Apr 25 17:26:41 CDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> I just had a thought, should I have formated the floppy prior to trying to
> write the disk image to it?  I wouldn't think DSK2FILE would care.

Hmm.  Assuming DSK2FILE is lame (not hard to imagine considering the
quality of free tools in general) and doesn't error out when it cannot
write a sector, it could have been trying to write to each sector and
failing for however many re-tries it was programmed to do so, which might
explain why it took 10-15 minutes.  It should have also assumed the disk
is not formatted and formatted it for you, or at least it should tell you
that you need to format the target disk in advance.

At any rate, try formatting your target disk and then run DSK2FILE.  If
that doesn't work, find another program to write the image to disk, or
write your own ;)