ImageDisk and some 8" images posted

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Aug 2 22:42:39 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Dave Dunfield wrote:
> >> I've posted the latest version of ImageDisk and some 8" images that
> >> I have archived with it on my classic collection page:
> >>    http://www.parse.com/~ddunfield/museum/index.html

Q: are you going to continue to expand the collection of images,
and perhaps take over where Don Maslin left off?
If so, read through to the end!

> One weakness - the program currently cannot handle disks which have different
> sector sizes within the same track ... so far I have encountered only one disk
> type which *MAY* do this, BMC if800 - TeleDisk reports that the sector size
> changes within the track ... however I have never been able to get TeleDisk to
> restore a workable disk, so I am not convinced that it handles it either - it
> also reports sectors missing and "no data" in sectors, as well as really odd
> sector numbers - I have a feeling that it is an incompatible format and it is
> getting "garbage". Still, it's an option I could provide if there proves to be
> a need.

IIRC, the Ensoniq Mirage had mixed sector sizes.

There is apparently at least one BMC if800 format that can be done with
765.

I had some difficulties with "automatic format recognition", particularly
from used reformatted disks.  I wasted some time when somebody sent me
single sided disks that had been formatted over PC 360K disks, which
hadn't removed the old content on the second side, and with HP 3.5"
diskettes that only rewrote the first 77 tracks, etc.

Because I was only dealing with file transfer, I never bothered to even
list which of the sample format diskettes that I have are system disks.
http://www.xenosoft.com/fmts.html

Would you like me to send you some sample diskettes to look through?

--
(Grumpy Ol' Fred)
Fred Cisin                      cisin at xenosoft.com
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com
PO Box 1236                     (510) 558-9366
Berkeley, CA 94701-1236