PC<>PC File transfer (was classiccmp knowledgebase)

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Tue Aug 2 11:00:07 CDT 2005

--------------Original Message(s):
Message: 13
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:53:39 -0500
From: John Foust <jfoust at threedee.com>
Subject: Re: classiccmp knowledgebase
To: <cctalk at classiccmp.org>

At 01:54 AM 8/1/2005, you wrote:
>Wouldn't it be easier to just issue two MODE commands to redirect COM1: to CON, then feed debug a script to write out binary files?

Hey, that's why I think it would be a useful and interesting FAQ.
I thought the other guy's CTRL/Z preservation method was quite
cute, too.  I'm intrigued by solutions that would require a
minimum of prep or magic tools on the sending PC.

- John

----------------Reply:

Assuming the server is also running DOS, it seems to me the
least prep or magic would be to use Interlnk/Intersvr, included
in MS-DOS since around version 5. It can use serial or
parallel ports, redirect remote drives and printers, and can do a
remote install if the receiving computer doesn't have a copy of
Interlnk. Needs a null modem serial cable of course, or a
LapLink type of Parallel cable or adapter. Same as LapLink;
not as fancy, but free. Check out the help files for Interlnk & Intersvr.

Didn't we just have a lengthy discussion about this a while ago?

mike