Analog modem emulator?

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Tue Aug 2 13:22:19 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Cini, Richard wrote:

> Refining the BBS idea a bit, the problem with it is multiplexing. You'd need
> to run a modem bank (like Hayes or Multitech) into the PBX and use an n-port
> serial card in the host PC. The PBX I'm sure can be set for number fallover
> so if you keep dialing extension "101" and it's busy, it will roll to
> extension 102, etc.

The modem bank off the host is not necessary.  The PBX solves the
multiplexing problem.  You have one modem on the gateway PC that is
connected to an extension on the PBX.  It can then dial any one of the
other extensions which will then connect it to one of the modems on the
target PC.

> I used to have a 24-modem (2400 baud) Multitech modem bank from an old DEC
> installation but I got rid of it a long time ago. Just another piece of
> hardware I should have kept...

That stuff is really common if you know where to look ;)