Amigas are OK here, eh? ;-)

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Mon Aug 15 15:49:01 CDT 2005

Yea, the subject line is "baited," but technically, the machine's
offtopic... I have an Amiga 4000T now (built in January 1998!) with a
"standard" VGA card (It's got an S3 Virge chipset), 2G SCSI HD, CD-ROM
reader & not much else.

I'm thinking of setting this machine up for the kids as a 'game' machine
but as it doesn't have ethernet, I'm not sure how easy that may be. I also
don't have any install disks or anything, so I don't want to do too much to
it, have it b0rk, and have no way of restoring/reformatting. [[ I also
don't know much at all about Amigas, other than the fact I really drooled
over them & the Atari ST's when I couldn't afford 'em... ;-) ]]

Here's the stats on the box:

Version 3.1 ROM,
Kickstart Version 40.70
Workbench version 45.1

(I think this is AmigaOS 3.5...)

  1,969,472 bytes Graphics Mem
11,534,728 bytes 'other' Mem

Multiview, 44.15 (6-6-2000)

It's got a 68040 in it, but IIRC, it's a 25Mhz.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I don't have the coin for one of those Zorro <-> PCI thingamabobs on ePay,
and the last few searches I did didn't bring about much for an ethernet
adapter[1], so I'm guessing the best way to get info on the machine would
be via the CD-ROM drive and CD-R's. I think I could also compile a custom
Linux kernel that allow read/write access to an Amiga-formatted HD, but
I've never done it, so I don't really know for sure.

I have a few questions:

1) Was there ever a version of OS-9/68K that ran on Amiga hardware? I know
there was one that ran on the Atari ST series...

2) Would I be best off to just buy the latest available version of AmigaOS
(for dox, media, etc.) or should I search/wait/etc. for it? It easily meets
the 'minimum' install requirements for AmigaOS3.9, and is still better than
the "for improved usability" specs...

3) I have access to a SCSI CD-R/RW burner - Is this machine capable of
burning CDs (even at 1x - I'm not in a hurry... ;-) at all? That could help
me making backups in case of a disaster...

4) Anything else I forgot to ask about??? ;-)

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

[1] Admittedly, I haven't searched my brains out for one...

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...