Nerding out with termcap

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 16:47:08 CDT 2005

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Tom Jennings wrote:
> > So I'm making a computer for my car (freeBSD on a mini-ITX box)
> > and I'm hacking a "terminal" in an old AM radio chassis (a PIC,
> > two rotary encoders (VOLUME and TUNE), two momentary switches on
> > the shafts and a 4x20 LCD) to run a Perl script that drives
> > mpg321.
>
> Sweet!  Sounds like a good project for Make magazine.

(sorry for attribution - I've lost Tom's earlier post)

Out of interest, how are you doing the +12V supply rail? Or don't you need
one in this particular situation?

I never liked the idea of going the route of a power inverter (car battery
to inverter to conventional switchmode back to DC voltages) because it's
darn wasteful of both power and space. But given that battery voltage in a
car ducks below 12V on occassion (not to mention being noisy as hell) I've
always wondered how to do power regulation to drive a computer - I've never
found a decent DC-DC circuit to do the job and provide enough start-up
current to power a hard disk...

The +5V supply's the easy bit!

(OK, so sorry of OT-ness too!)

cheers