IBM Convertible 5140 saga

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman at brutman.com
Thu Aug 25 00:10:48 CDT 2005

Andrew,

This sounds amazingly familiar ..  are you writing those diskettes in a
1.44MB drive?

Even with the correct double density media I've had trouble writing
double density diskettes using a 1.44MB drive.  Try finding a genuine
DOS 3.3 diskette, not a copy made in a 1.44MB drive.  Or cut your
diskette images to disk using a genuine 720K drive.  That'll probably work.

(I had similar problems when trying to boot a PCjr using a 720KB
diskette drive.  None of the diskettes I made using a 1.44MB drive
worked, even with the correct media.  Only diskettes made on a 720KB
drive were bootable.)

Mike