6800 opcode $02

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 19:15:26 CDT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:53:59 +0100 (BST)
ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:

> Does anyone know what Opcode $02 is on a Motorola 6800 processor. It's
>
> not defined in the data sheet, but I have a device which forces that
> instruction onto the data bus in one of the test modes.
>
> Is it, by any chance, the infamous HCF instruction?
>
> -tony

Hmm,  all the other $0x opcodes on the table are inherent instructions
that mess with the condition code register.  Looking at the order of the
bits in the instructions, I don't see an order that corresponds with
good old HINZVC (we were required to memorize this, the order of the
bits in the condition code register, in tech school)

0a clears overflow (V)
0b sets overflow (V)
0c clears carry (C)
0d sets carry (C)
0e clears interrupt mask (I)
0f sets interrupt mask (I)

The lower instructions defined are
06  Accumulator A to CCR
07 CCR to Accumulator A

Is there a bit-level 'Opcode Breakdown' reference for the 6800
processor, that defines bit field and gives clues to how the opcodes are
translated in hardware, like there is (it's an elaborate table and I
even have a machine language Textbook that drags you through it all on
an early chapter) for the 8086 processor?

The good old 6800.  'Freescale' : bah!