OT: Help! Sun Ultra 1 HD replacement?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:57:38 CDT 2005

Scott Stevens wrote:
> Oooh, now you have me wanting to cram my 'IBM PC Server 704' (a huge
> quad Pentium Pro server with a bunch of SCA slots on the front) *which
> is almost, if not already, nominally 'on-topic' here* full of cheap
> drives.

Actually, I have *two* of these beasts, and the price of SCA 73.4GB hard
drives on ebay have now come down enough, so I have 12 (!) 73.4GB hard
drives in each, with hardware RAID.

They both run NetBSD very, very, very fast.  Four processors each, 1GB
RAM each.  Each has a 2-channel RAID card with each channel running half
the array.  The on-board SCSI controller runs the boot disk on one
channel, and the CD-ROM on the other.

Peace...  Sridhar