Old MS-DOS & WIN Software

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 2 16:08:32 CST 2005

On 12/2/2005 at 2:42 PM woodelf wrote:

>Well it is not standard with the windows I have.

Was it ever standard with Windows or DOS?  If memory serves, it was always
an add-on package. IIRC, MASM 1.0 was abouit $100, which didn't make it
much of a bargain.

LIB and LINK were packaged with DOS, but not MASM.  ASM was standard with
CP/M, but it was kind of brain-dead (no macro facility, linking or
relocation).  Most folks who wanted to program assembler seriously on 8 bit
stuff picked up either M80/L80 or RMAC.

Didn't the Polymorphic or Processor Tech systems box ship with a resident
editor (BASC-style with line numbers) and a simple assembler?  I seem to
remember hacking the I/O in it to work with my MITS box.   Even added a few
of my own commands.

Cheers,
Chuck