"Market" for old macs?

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 5 16:59:15 CST 2005

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 02:08:13 -0600
Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org> wrote:

> Teo Zenios wrote:
> > Did anybody figure out a way to get around seganet so these
> > games can be hosted some other place?
>
> Nope.  It will take reverse-engineering the protocol to get it
> work, but more  importantly it will take finding an ISP that you
> can call to get PPP working.  The major dial-up providers (AOL,
> netzero, etc.) require custom software, to my  knowledge; they
> aren't straight-up SLIP or PPP.

Plenty of major ISP providers can be accessed with plain vanilla
PPP.  I know Earthlink can.  I used to use it to connect my
Handspring Visor to the net a few years back (with a plain old
modem.)  Any ISP that lets people dial up with the freenixes
(Linux, NetBSD, etc.) can be used.  Most small local providers
work fine, too.

> TCP/IP would be easier if the broadband adapter didn't command
> $150-$200 on epay.

Can't one just connect it through ethernet?  (I don't know much
about the Dreamcast)