More parts I need to replace on the VT100

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Dec 1 04:31:37 CST 2005

Tony Duell wrote:
>>On 11/30/2005 at 11:25 AM Dwight K. Elvey wrote:
>>

>>>Many IC's and transistors show little to no visual
>>>indications that they are shorted inside. I don't
>>>know how one can find these without understanding
>>>where the resistors are in the schematic and how
>>>the resistors are being used.
>>
>>Actually,  many servicepeople rely on compiled tips for servicing.
>>Something like "If there's no vertical sweep, replace R302, Q401 and C213".
>

> I find those sort of tips totally useless!. There could be many causes of
> 'no vertical deflection' (or whatever), the fact that _once_ it was
> caused by a particular set of components doesn't mean it always is.

I can't agree there.  When I used to repair TVs and video recorders and
the like, I (like others) tended to find that different makes had their
own particular favourite stock faults.

In that case, for example, if you got a Ferguson ICC9-chassis TV on the
bench with no EW correction and excessive width, you'd go straight for a
particular electrolytic somewhere around the scan drive circuit.
Annoyingly enough I can't remember which one and my telly has just
started doing that...

Gordon