A Hobbyist DECnet Network

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 9 06:56:37 CST 2005

>Subject: Re: A Hobbyist DECnet Network
>   From: der Mouse <mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
>   Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 03:00:23 -0500 (EST)
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>> Probably there just aren't many hackers out there who know enough
>> about DECnet to worry about,
>
>I suspect there are actually plenty of them - several are probably on
>this very list - but most (verging on all, would be my guess) are
>honest enough to be no problem.

There's a story of a VAX at DEFCON that was subjected to the hordes
and stood well.  VMS has good security out of the box, always did.
It can be made very tight without much effort and it's also so different
from PCs (Hardend OS and protection in hardware) so security by obscurity
doesn't hurt.

Allison